Monday, February 10, 2014

Flat world

Right now I am enjoying the blessings of being able to use technology to improve my life and here is an example of how it is done:
I am doing my homework from the comfort of my own home and I will submit it to school with a push of a button. I am also occasionally receiving emails and text messages from my work when they need updates or to inform me of new situations as they arise. I am using 2 powerful computers at the same time without requiring any special technical or mental skills.

Technology is allowing me to build my day off in a way that keeps me active, ahead and successful. Technology is allowing me to do 3 things at once, things that would not have been possible only few years ago.
My school is thousands of miles away, my job is 30 minutes away drive, and my son would have been with a babysitter right now that would share my paycheck while I don't get to spend quality time with my child.
On the other hand, doing my homework requires focus, research and critical thinking. Babysitting requires having an eye on the infant at all times and being physically there even when he is sleeping, which means that the ethical requirements and the human duty is still very important but technology makes it a little easier.
My duties as a global citizen are higher thanks to technology not lower. Doing many things in an easier way or being able to multitask does not stop us from having to be ethical, hard working, caring, in fact, technology informs us more in order to do all that in a better way. Our own success depends heavily on our character and attention to our role in this flat world.

No comments:

Post a Comment